The QuaranTeen Zine Project is a chance for Houston youth ages 13 -18 to share their experiences during the COVID-19 Pandemic, have their work promoted by Houston Public Library, and see their writing added to our collection! Document your thoughts, your feelings, your fears, and hopes – anything you want to share about life during the pandemic. Submitted zines* will be scanned and shared on the Houston Public Library’s website and social media platforms as well as be added to the online catalog. The physical zines will be housed in a non-circulating collection located at the Central Library Teen Room.
What is it?
Zines may contain poetry, prose, drawings, collages and more - the possibilities stretch as far as your imagination! Not familiar with zines? Check out this quick Zines 101 video. Need a starting place? Here's a template for how to make an 8 page zine from a single sheet of paper.
Guidelines for Submission
- Zine Dimensions: Minimum 4.25”x 2.75”, Maximum 5.5” x 8”
- Number of pages: Minimum 4, Maximum 10
- A cover sheet** containing the following information is required for each submission (please print clearly):
- Name (First Last)
- Contact information (phone or email)
- School Name
Two ways to submit your zine:
- Mail - Houston Public Library Attn: Rebecca Denham – Youth Services QuaranTeen Zine Project, 500 McKinney St., Houston, TX 77002
- Drop off at HPL TO GO - Place your zine in an envelope labeled “YS Admin – QuaranTeen Zine Project” and drop your zine off at one of our HPL TO GO locations. You may need to schedule a time for drop off so please contact the location at which you wish to drop your zine.
*The Houston Public Library reserves the right to determine if a zine will be shared on our website and social media.
**The cover sheet information will not be included in the scanned images shared via social media.